1. Marketing and Sales Statement Rijk Zwaan
- Rijk Zwaan is active in breeding, production and sales of vegetable seeds for professional growers worldwide. Rijk Zwaan makes a continuous effort to fulfil the wishes of its customers and other parties concerned.
- Rijk Zwaan complies – at least – with the statutory requirements arising from legislation regarding the marketing and sales of standard seed of vegetable crops.
- Rijk Zwaan is responsible for the quality of its seeds and checks the quality continuously in an extensive testing programme in the field and in various laboratories. The quality testing programme is audited by the official Netherlands Inspection Service for Horticulture, Naktuinbouw.
- In order to supply top quality seeds and the best service, Rijk Zwaan works in accordance with a quality management system to control and improve the quality of all activities and processes from breeding to sales. This system is comparable, with regard to topics and structure, to internationally generally well known quality management systems in this field and is audited internally on a regular basis.
Rijk Zwaan is furthermore operates in accordance with the following standards:
- NAL (Naktuinbouw Authorized Laboratory): Rijk Zwaan is authorized by Naktuinbouw to perform specific tests, such as germination tests, physical seed purity tests, and specific tests on (seed born) diseases.
- GSPP (Good Seed & Plant Practices): a standard that aims to prevent tomato and tomato rootstock seeds and plant lots from being infected by Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. Michiganensis (Cmm). On the packaging of the seeds is mentioned if the seeds are produced under GSPP conditions.
- Rijk Zwaan is certified by various inspection bodies, to produce and sell organically produced seeds under the quality label for organic products of the respective countries.
All quality systems mentioned above are audited on a regular basis. Furthermore all our seedlots can be traced throughout the entire process, from Production to Sales.
All varieties in Rijk Zwaan’s present range are obtained without making use of genetic modification techniques which lead to genetically modified organisms (GMOs) to which Directive 2001/18 of the European Parliament and of the Council of the European Communities of 12 March 2001 on the deliberate release into the environment of GMOs applies. The foregoing applies to Rijk Zwaan varieties which have been or will be marketed in the year 2017.
Rijk Zwaan considers the risk of any GMOs being present in the propagating material of its varieties very small. When developing the propagating material of Rijk Zwaan varieties the greatest possible care is exercised based on existing legal requirements relating to the marketing of varieties. Moreover, the methods used in the development and production of this propagating material include procedures to prevent the presence of GMOs.
Much of Rijk Zwaan’s research is focused on resistances. The resistance coding applied by Rijk Zwaan is based on guidelines for resistance coding that are developed by the International Seed Federation. It is important, in general to stress that the specificity of pests or pathogens may vary over time and space, depends on environmental factors, and that new pest biotypes or pathogen races capable of overcoming resistance may emerge. The Rijk Zwaan resistance codes and the Rijk Zwaan resistance statement are available on the website www.rijkzwaan.com.
Seed treatment is only applied by Rijk Zwaan in case it considers this the most effective method to control a possible disease and/or pest, and/or to realize a reduction in crop spraying; Rijk Zwaan acts hereby in conformity with the applicable statutory regulations.
Further information on Rijk Zwaan and its varieties is available in our catalogues, pricelists, leaflets and on the website www.rijkzwaan.com.
2. Resistance statement
Definition of the Terms Describing the Reaction of Plants to Pests or Pathogens for the Vegetable Seed Industry as adopted by the International Seed Federation (May 2005)
You can download the full definition here
3. Resistance codes
This resistance codes list (pdf file, 26kb) gives an explanation of the resistance codes used by Rijk Zwaan.
Rijk Zwaan’s descriptions, illustrations, growing advices and any other information in whatever form for example on expiry, sowing, planting and harvesting dates are based as precisely as possible on experiences in trials and in practice. However, Rijk Zwaan does not accept in any case liability for damages resulting from the use of such descriptions, illustrations, growing advices and information. The buyer/user itself is responsible for proper storage of the seeds and will be deemed to determine whether the products and growing advices are suitable to be used for the intended cultivations and under the local conditions.
The pictures in this website show the types to which the varieties as mentioned belong and not all varieties as such. These pictures do not constitute any warranty, express or implied, of crop performance.
5. General conditions
Within the Rijk Zwaan Group, every sales subsidiary has its own General Terms and Conditions of Sale and Delivery. If you wish to have the text that applies for you, please contact the Rijk Zwaan subsidiary in your country.